Pages

Monday, December 12, 2011

Mistakes We Knew We Were Making

Music: Sparks Fly - Taylor Swift

The clock turned 11:11 this morning and I wished for you.

I can say this right now because my wish came true. There you were, after a grueling day of work and study stress but there you were.

It was like nothing changed. You had the same backpack, the same hat, the Red Stripe shirt I bought you from over the summer and your smile. I tried to ignore you, I really did. I drowned myself in music that was mine, busied myself over puzzling economics theories but like a big red button, you were screaming for me to just push you.

We walked around the dead campus, only heat coming from the burning stick between our fingers. You made small talk to try and bridge the blatant gap that's standing right between us but it was futile. I was curt and brief, I had all my walls up. I fought the urge to stand too close to you, concealed my elation at the fact that you were right there. I was happy because today, I didn't have to love you from a far. I didn't have to wonder where you were tonight. You were right there, in front of me.

It must be so easy for you to get what you want. That's what you're used to. You've always gotten what you wanted, when you wanted it.

We went back inside and I read your paper for you, like I used to. Ever since the first semester we met. Your Spanish essays, your anthropology research papers. You coerced me into giving you a back rub and I succumbed. You have me wrapped around finger. You've always had.

You told me I was a saint.

Wrong. I'm only a girl still in love with the wrong person.